In our third week of the term, we were asked to write about why we think that "geeks" should write. I have always been a solid believer in writing things down, so I remember that when I first began writing the W3 blog post, I had some very strong opinions on the topic.
Having gone through the term, I believe that my belief that "geeks" should write, because: it is helpful in reflection, to learn from past errors and as a reference for mistakes and past projects stands more than ever. Having worked through more challenging assignments than previously, I can wholeheartedly say that writing down my ideas and my plan of attack has proven to be ever so important in a successful assignment. The frequency of my writing has also proven useful when commenting on assignments. Commenting was brought up in 108 and at the time I could see how maybe it could be important, but when the scale of our assignments grew in 148, I really realized, and was thankful that I took the time to comment properly, because things can get confusing, very quickly, without proper commenting.
Even having the opportunity to look back on some of my SLOG posts for this class has proven to be a source of motivation, to keep going when I'm feeling less than great. I look back and see how far I've come and it gives me a sense of relief knowing that I've made such huge strides.
Looking through SLOG's of my peers, I can see that there are mixed reviews on the importance of writing. Some agree, others don't. For those who agree, they all seem to follow a similar pattern in their reasoning. That writing is important because communication with others, and communicating your motives with your code is important and through proper communication you can achieve wondrous things. It's nice to see that others have a similar mentality in their opinions on writing, and I hope that through writing the SLOG's others will keep with the habit of jotting down their thoughts because they will find it ever-so-rewarding later on in their life.
No comments:
Post a Comment